- Is your desk working against you?
- Have you missed appointments because you could not find papers on your desk?
- Is your desk too cluttered to find papers when your boss needs them?
- Does the sight of your desk stress you out?
Then you may need a Desk Day!
Having a clear desk is essential not just to your own productivity but also to those around you. Even if your office works for you, it may be a distraction from the professional that you truly are. It does represent you and the work you provide others. So, take a look at your desk before:
- paper everywhere?
- cluttered bulletin boards?
- no area to work?
- undefined areas for files?
For a quick fix:
- take all papers off bulletin boards and post it notes off work area, trashing old papers and notes
- remove all papers and items that should be elsewhere and put them where they belong
- stack all papers, then sort according to: current work, to be filed, and the trash/shredder
- dust the entire work are and put back on top only those files you need to work with
- all other papers should be filed and out of sight!
Once you have done this, check out the after:
With a little rearranging, a lot of dusting and sorting through the piles of paper, this desk area is now functional and ready to be used for work! A clear desk may be in the mind of the worker, but it will give you a sense of accomplishment and your boss a sense of security in your commitment to the job and your ability to handle more.
If doing this is a little too overwhelming for you, call on Structured Chaos! Clear away the clutter and reinforce your professionalism by having a work area to back you up.